BBP Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP)
Estuaries are natural resources increasingly threatened by pollution, habitat loss, development, and resource conflicts. Congress established the National Estuary Program (NEP) in 1987 to pioneer a broad and innovative approach to respond to these threats. Each program convenes a Management Conference to provide a forum for consensus building and problem solving among interested agencies and user groups. The Management Conference identifies the estuary's environmental problems, evaluates the existing management framework, and recommends priority corrective actions. The goal of the conference is to develop a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan for the estuary.
The US EPA, which manages the National Estuary Program, approved the CCMP for the Barnegat Bay estuary in 2002. Since then, the Barnegat Bay Partnership has assessed progress on the plan and updated its priorities through two Strategic Plans.
From 2016 through 2018, the BBP will be reviewing and revising the original CCMP to reflect the changes in the Barnegat Bay's condition and emerging threats, such as climate change and sea level rise. The same consensus-building approach will be the key to revising the CCMP. The BBP is seeking input from partners, stakeholders, and the public during the CCMP revision process.
Below are links to the original CCMP as approved in 2002.
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Understanding the Barnegat Watershed
- Chapter 3: Early Actions
- Chapter 4: Introduction to Action Plan
- Chapter 5: Water Quality/Water Supply Action Plan
- Chapter 6: Habitat and Living Resources Action Plan
- Chapter 7: Human Activities and Competing Uses Action Plan
- Chapter 8: Public Participation and Education Action Plan
- Chapter 9: Monitoring Program Plan
- Chapter 10: Data Management
- Chapter 11: Unfinished Agenda
- Chapter 12: CCMP Implementation
- Appendix A: References
- Appendix B: Public Responsiveness Document
- Appendix C: Early Action Results and Summaries
- Appendix D: Public Outreach
- Appendix E: Management Conference Members
- Appendix F: Federal Consistency Review
- Appendix G: Base Program Analysis
- Appendix H: Glossary